Industrial Engineer – Full Time
Manalapan Township, NJ, US
Merola Tile is a leading national tile distributor that proudly imports high quality, on-trend and emotionally inspiring tiles from around the world to suit a diverse flooring market.
The NJ Division of Merola Tile employs approximately 120 people and distributes tile in the U.S. and Canada through The Home Depot, independently owned tile showrooms, and numerous e-commerce retailers under the Merola Tile, SomerTile, and Elite Tile brand names. SomerTile has been recognized as one of the INC 5000’s fastest growing companies for 3 years straight and named one of New Jersey’s Top Workplaces of 2019, 2020, and 2021.
Role and Responsibilities
- Applies lean engineering techniques to evaluate current practices and identify those needing improvement.
- Develop and implement process improvements and technological upgrades across all departments.
- Plan, manage, lead, and execute projects, from conception to successful completion.
- Applies statistical methods and mathematical calculations to develop production processes that maximize efficiency and reduce waste.
- Design control systems to minimize production issues and cost.
- Develop and design production standards, cost analyses, and production costs.
- Project planning and design layout of facilities with ideal employee requirements.
- Evaluate employees’ tasks and responsibilities, identifying procedures or tools to improve productivity.
- Continue to lead production related continuous improvement activities to improve efficiencies.
- Develop SOP’s and train staff, based on desired improved processes.
- Analytical-Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Design-Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving-Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills-Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Strategic Thinking-Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Planning/Organizing-Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Innovation-Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
- Ability to push/pull/lift up to 75 lbs. several times during the shift.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to sit, stand, reach, bend, and twist without restrictions.
- Ability to perform basic math functions.
- Must be able to read and write in English.
- Frequently work in environment with extreme temperatures. Our warehouse is not climate controlled. This includes sometimes being exposed to the outdoor environment.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Industrial Engineering.
- 5+ years of work experience in Industrial Engineering.
- Six Sigma Certification.
- Advanced knowledge of production machinery, processes, and standards.
- Troubleshooting skills with attention to detail.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Lean management principles
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
Merola Tile Fundamentals
We stay true to our mission statement “Improving Homes. Improving Lives.” With our product we improve homes, but it is with our collective effort that we improve lives. Our Fundamentals describe the values, behaviors, principles, and practices that are the foundation of our unique workplace. It explains how we relate to each other, our clients, and even our suppliers. It’s who we are, and it’s what drives our extraordinary success. It’s our commitment to each other to improve our lives.
1. DO THE RIGHT THING
2. THINK SAFE. WORK SAFE
3. HONOR COMMITMENTS
4. FOCUS ON SOLUTIONS
5. HAVE CLEAR EXPECTATIONS & PURPOSE
6. UNDERSTAND THE WHY
7. LISTEN GENEROUSLY
8. SPEAK STRAIGHT AND SHARE
9. FINISH THINGS
10. SHOW MEANINGFUL APPRECIATION
11. BE A FANATIC ABOUT RESPONSE TIME
12. GIVE YOUR 100% BEST EFFORT
13. DEVELOP YOUR SKILL SET
14. ASSUME POSITIVE INTENT
15. LOVE YOUR SPACE
16. INVEST IN RELATIONSHIPS
17. LOOK AHEAD AND ANTICIPATE
18. THINK TEAM FIRST
19. BE RELENTLESS ABOUT IMPROVE-MENT
20. DELIVER LEGENDARY SERVICE
21. “BRING IT” EVERY DAY
22. BE RESPONSIBLE WITH COMPANY RESOURCES
23. BE POSITIVE
24. WALK IN YOUR CUSTOMERS’ SHOES
25. MAKE IT FEEL LIKE HOME
26. CREATE A GREAT IMPRESSION
27. TREASURE, PROTECT, AND PROMOTE OUR REPUTATION
28. DO WHAT’S BEST FOR THE CUSTOMER
29. BE PROCESS-DRIVEN
30. GIVE BACK
31. BE A TECHNICAL EXPERT
32. LIVE A CULTURE OF ACCOUNTABILITY
33. KEEP THINGS FUN
Merola Tile Brands, Benefits, & Perks:
- You’ll enjoy coming to work because we have a refreshing company culture that is open, respectful and fun
- Merola Tile Fundamentals, we stay true to our mission statement “improving homes, improving lives” through our 32 fundamentals.
- 6 Paid Federal holidays
- Paid Time Off earned and accrued from first day
- Competitive salary, and bonus structure
- 401(K) eligibility after one month, with company match
- Healthcare Benefits including dental and vision
- Employer Paid Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Employee discount on tile and stoneware after six (6) months
- Merit-based performance review given after first ninety (90) days with the company
- Company culture events like BBQ’s, Ugly Sweater day, t-shirt making events and Halloween costume contest
- Weekly lunches from local businesses
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of the Employer
Merola Tile provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.